ExtraLicense - Buy, Sell, & Trade Your Licenses

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is The Best Forum Software?

GamerBB

Valued Member
Whether paid or free, what currently released forum software is the best out there?

I prefer XenForo and IPB. I think they are the top contenders against the slowly descending (opinion) vBulletin. IPB is probably the top dog behind vBulletin as they have a huge customer base, phone support, tons of mods, and etc. XenForo has the ability to shine over both IPB and vBulletin in my opinion. I can't wait to see what XF will be in the next year or so.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with any free solutions out there. For whatever reason I have always used paid software and I have used them all.

Something I have never said in public before, I cannot stand IPB. I can't find anything I like about that software. At it's core, it is a great product, but the layout and usability (both front end and admincp), IMHO, is awful. Totally complicated not very fluid.

I have been around vB the longest, since 2004, and have found it to the best, until XenForo of course. vB still has a place in my heart though even though they are going through very turbulent times, all at their own doing.

I can agree with you about the layout and usability of IPB. After awhile Add-ons became a hassle to install for me. Not because I didn't know how to do it but because many of them conflicted with other add-ons. That's when I decided to sell my IPB license and switch over to XenForo. vBulletin is a software I haven't owned but I have staffed a few forums and wasn't a fan of the admin cp. Maybe if I sat down and really learned it my opinion would change but since XenForo hit the scene all interest has been lost in vBulletin.

Reactions: Dan
XenForo and WordPress will always be my favourite forum software. If I'm forced to choose between the two of them, I would have to go with XenForo because I'm a more into forums and it's best for forums.

It's only Xenforo that's clearly mapped out for me as the best paid forum software. I have used some free forum software in the past like Proboards but it's not that good. Xenforo is wonderful.

To the best of my knowledge, Xenforo works like a charm. Even as a forum owner, I appreciate and find it more easier being on other forums that uses Xenforo software.