What Is The Best Forum Software?

GamerBB

Valued Member
Apr 23, 2011
Whether paid or free, what currently released forum software is the best out there?

I prefer XenForo and IPB. I think they are the top contenders against the slowly descending (opinion) vBulletin. IPB is probably the top dog behind vBulletin as they have a huge customer base, phone support, tons of mods, and etc. XenForo has the ability to shine over both IPB and vBulletin in my opinion. I can't wait to see what XF will be in the next year or so.

Dan

Valued Member
Nov 13, 2019
I don't have a whole lot of experience with any free solutions out there. For whatever reason I have always used paid software and I have used them all.

Something I have never said in public before, I cannot stand IPB. I can't find anything I like about that software. At it's core, it is a great product, but the layout and usability (both front end and admincp), IMHO, is awful. Totally complicated not very fluid.

I have been around vB the longest, since 2004, and have found it to the best, until XenForo of course. vB still has a place in my heart though even though they are going through very turbulent times, all at their own doing.

GamerBB

Valued Member
Apr 23, 2011
I can agree with you about the layout and usability of IPB. After awhile Add-ons became a hassle to install for me. Not because I didn't know how to do it but because many of them conflicted with other add-ons. That's when I decided to sell my IPB license and switch over to XenForo. vBulletin is a software I haven't owned but I have staffed a few forums and wasn't a fan of the admin cp. Maybe if I sat down and really learned it my opinion would change but since XenForo hit the scene all interest has been lost in vBulletin.

Reactions: Dan