Advertise Here | Advertise Here | Advertise Here | Advertise Here
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention buyers: Please take the time to read THIS
    Dismiss Notice
  3. I have imposed a new requirement today limiting who can start and receive private conversations. This is in an effort to thwart scammers who have a zero post count but private message others offering to sell their licenses. The restriction is not strict, a user must post at least one (1) post in the forum before being allowed to start and/or receive private conversations. Read Forum Post
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Introducing the new Classifieds Section

Please see HERE for more info.

What Is The Best Forum Software?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GamerBB, Apr 23, 2011.

1. GamerBB

GamerBB Active Member

Local Time:
    11:40 AM
    Whether paid or free, what currently released forum software is the best out there?

I prefer XenForo and IPB. I think they are the top contenders against the slowly descending (opinion) vBulletin. IPB is probably the top dog behind vBulletin as they have a huge customer base, phone support, tons of mods, and etc. XenForo has the ability to shine over both IPB and vBulletin in my opinion. I can't wait to see what XF will be in the next year or so.

2. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    I don't have a whole lot of experience with any free solutions out there. For whatever reason I have always used paid software and I have used them all.
    Something I have never said in public before, I cannot stand IPB. I can't find anything I like about that software. At it's core, it is a great product, but the layout and usability (both front end and admincp), IMHO, is awful. Totally complicated not very fluid.
    I have been around vB the longest, since 2004, and have found it to the best, until XenForo of course. vB still has a place in my heart though even though they are going through very turbulent times, all at their own doing.

3. GamerBB

GamerBB Active Member

Local Time:
    I can agree with you about the layout and usability of IPB. After awhile Add-ons became a hassle to install for me. Not because I didn't know how to do it but because many of them conflicted with other add-ons. That's when I decided to sell my IPB license and switch over to XenForo. vBulletin is a software I haven't owned but I have staffed a few forums and wasn't a fan of the admin cp. Maybe if I sat down and really learned it my opinion would change but since XenForo hit the scene all interest has been lost in vBulletin.