ExtraLicense - Buy, Sell, & Trade Your Licenses

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth using VB 5?

Nova

Valued Member
Hi, these days many forum admins and the developers prefer the Xenforo and the IPS. And not a lot of people prefer moving to the VBulletin. Also the price continues to stay high for the VB. And I am not sure if it's profitable to buy and maintain the VB.

What do you think? Is it worth getting VB?

vBulletin has seriously quality concerns these days, they started in vB4 and were horrific in vB5, they have slowly worked to iron them out, but the fact that they could release software that was so atrociously buggy and incomplete feeling shows that they really don't put quality at the forefront of their decision making. It's a shame, considering where vBulletin were under Jelsoft, with such a fantastic team working to build a solid product consistently, but at least we get that with XenForo :)

Is it worth it to invest in vB license? At this point, it's probably ok to use vB5, since there's been plenty of time to work on it, but it's going to be one of those situations where you have to decide for yourself if you want to go that route. It's not for me.

It is not good to invest with them as I lost hope when it went into the new owner hands. These new developers doesn't made as per the people requirement and the dsign structure was so horrible. I dont know what is the current status and what was their goal for developing it.

You're very correct about most forum owners preferring to make use of Xenforo and you can't blame them for obvious reasons. The services provided by Xenforo is way better than what you can get elsewhere. Even though it's more expensive, it's definitely worth the price. I have seen a few forums that makes use of VBulletin, it looks good by the way.

VB is just outdated and unsupported, it's sad actually as I did like the software when the old boys club was there and updating it.
They simply couldn't keep up with the competition other new softwares were bringing to the fold. It happened in the social media sector too with MySpace fading off to oblivion with the birth of Facebook.

I don't think it's worth paying for vB5 when Xenforo is miles better and cheaper too. Back in the day vBulletin was THE forum software to get, pretty much all the video gaming websites used it. There were a few that used IPB, and a even smaller group used free alternatives. I also feel like there really isn't much activity on the support forums, so that proves there's probably not a lot of people who use vB5.

What you would consider is the flexibility and what upgrades that are on other software like xenforo and ips.

Vbulletin has been around for a long time and it was my personal favorite but Xenforo is much more faster and a better user experience than Vb.

The vbulletin 3.x series will go down as the Golden age of forums.
Vb4 was a total disaster and still is, Vbulletin4 is almost usable now if your standards is low.

It is not good to invest with them as I lost hope when it went into the new owner hands. These new developers doesn't made as per the people requirement and the dsign structure was so horrible. I dont know what is the current status and what was their goal for developing it.

They are just out to make more money without considerations on adding value to the software. It's a shame that they are going this way as VB would have been a great competitor to Xenforo!

I don’t think many are using VB 5, I did like 4 but the support got shitty and most of the good devs left.
I think the software is at its end unless someone takes over from the current owners.

We had Christianity Haven on vb4 and our Host told us we needed to upgrade or else. So we had a long discussion about the pros and cons of upgrading to VB5 or going to XenForo, and in the end, XenForo won. I love the look of vBulletin, and it has a homey feel. XenForo looks more professional and is smooth loading.

I thought my members would complain, but they were really cool with the transition.