Advertise Here | Advertise Here | Advertise Here | Advertise Here
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention buyers: Please take the time to read THIS
    Dismiss Notice
  3. I have imposed a new requirement today limiting who can start and receive private conversations. This is in an effort to thwart scammers who have a zero post count but private message others offering to sell their licenses. The restriction is not strict, a user must post at least one (1) post in the forum before being allowed to start and/or receive private conversations. Read Forum Post
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Introducing the new Classifieds Section

Please see HERE for more info.

So You Have Your New Script, Now What?

Discussion in 'Installation/Setup Help' started by Dan, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    12:10 AM
    Congrats on obtaining your new shiny new script. Now what, you may be asking yourself.

If you haven't already, you are going to need a domain name. A domain name is the name people enter into their browser to visit your site. Our domain name is You can register your domain through Registrars such as NameCheap or GoDaddy. I recommend NameCheap. When picking your domain name there are a few factors you should keep in mind:
    • Make it memorable. The easier it is for people to remember, the more they are likely to return.
    • Keep it Specific. Try and come up with a name that best describes what your site will be about.
    • Keep it Short. The shorter, more specific and memorable, the better.
    • Stay away from hyphens, if you can. is much better than
    Ok, you got yourself a great name. Now, let's get a host. A host is the people that will host your site on their server's for all the world to see. I use Surpass Hosting. There are thousands of hosting companies. Ask around to seek out a good host. This is where you should spend a lot of time on. Picking the right host can be a bit overwhelming, however if you can get a good recommendation, fears become less. There will be several options you can choose from:
    • Shared - This is probably the best option for you right now. Shared hosting is the cheapest and is perfect for start up sites with not much traffic.
    • VPS - Virtual Private Server. This is for the more advanced and technically savvy folk. It is basically a shared hosting, however you have full control over your section of the server. Resources are also dedicated to your site at this level as opposed to a shared server where the server resources are shared equally among all sites hosted on the server. This option is for medium size sites. This option cost more than the Shared option.
    • Dedicated - You get your very own server to do what you will with. Great for those larger sites or for those who need full control. There are 2 versions of "Dedicated" as well. Managed and Unmanaged. I strongly suggest Managed. This is also the most expensive option.
    So you have your domain name and hosting set up. The next step is to upload your site to your new host and let the world know that a great new site is available. How do you do that? That is another blog at another time.

This is basically it. There are a few other steps involved like pointing the DNS of domain to your server. But will cover that on the next episode.

VANUCCI Active Member

Local Time:
    6:10 AM
    apologies if i shouldn't write on this thread, but my question relates to surpass hosting.

Seeing you wrote this a few years back, and again sorry for bumping an old thread, but how has your time with them been ? I just downgraded from a dedicated as i no longer needed it and im looking for a new shared host for now. I'm currently with someone but im not happy.
  3. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    12:10 AM
    Even though I no longer use Surpass for this site (VPS), I still strongly recommend them on shared environments.
  4. vbguy

vbguy Moderator Staff Member

Local Time:
    1:10 AM
    I was recommended a Hosting site ( Pixelated Hosting) from a trustworthy member here awhile back, and decided to use them
    Never had any issues with them