ExtraLicense - Buy, Sell, & Trade Your Licenses

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which forum do you think you should choose between Xenforo and vbulletin?

Wushu

Valued Member
This question can't be asked about any of those forums, so I'm asking this. Which of the two is best?

I prefere xenforo because it's not very expensive compared to Vbulletin. And vbulletin5 has much less resources than xenforo, because all the devs went to xenforo, one of the xenforo developers was on vbulletin before. Well, it's not a proposal but otherwise I prefer IPS Community. ;)

Xenforo and IPB are very good ones while, in my opinion, IPB is a lil more complex to handle.

But both are good in use.

My 1. Forum was vBulletin but after all the changes to vB5 i just head over to xF

Xenforo for sure. It’s way easier to use, in my opinion, and as stated above, it has more features as well.

@Wushu i have been a member of vbulletin and used phpbb for a while. I like vbulletin more, but the best between two depends on your need.

Then phpbb will do the trick, they got good no of plugins and responsive theme. Their admin panel is slightly confusing.

I haven't been able to decide yet which one to go, xenforo seems to be better in terms of security but it is very similar to phpbb in terms of appearance. Xenforo's theme is so ugly, but you can fix it by buying a new one, which probably costs $ 30 and up.

IPS Then Xenforo VB is dead if you have noticed, but it really boils down to what you need.?

Is it equally good to forget to buy vbulletin? Since I am a buyer of a product, I want good information. Don't want to regret anything later. But I also hope that you understand that I cannot ask these questions on xenforo and vbulletin.

@Dan  thats what i meant Xenforo is very alive, VB has not been updated for some time and it dont look like it will be.

@Wushu If you are looking for a Forum JUST for discussions... nothing else.... go with a free Forum Software. My 1. one was MyBB

They did a lot improvements to it and its good for plain things....

If you are planning to add more then just discussions i would always go with Xenforo or IPS... Nothing else

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit late reply. But since IB took over vBulletin went down the drain, I wouldn't even consider that an option anymore.

You might want to consider IPB or Xenforo. But imho the choice would be then Xenforo. I have Invision now for a year and it's also great but I like how Xenforo is doing things.

Also faster with for example webp support (IPS doesn't see any use in this so they just won't do it). And you can't even sell IPB if you're done with it. Xenforo can at least be sold once.

When it comes to a forum software that's going to offer you the very best when it comes to what you need in terms of resources and support to run your forum, XenForo is your best bet. It's always updated more often than vbulletin. Personally, I don't like the interface of vbulletin.

I find very difficult doing anything on any forum that's set up using vbulletin software. They always looks odd and even weird to me. Xenforo is the very best that I have used it.