Advertise Here | Advertise Here | Advertise Here | Advertise Here
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Attention buyers: Please take the time to read THIS
    Dismiss Notice
  3. I have imposed a new requirement today limiting who can start and receive private conversations. This is in an effort to thwart scammers who have a zero post count but private message others offering to sell their licenses. The restriction is not strict, a user must post at least one (1) post in the forum before being allowed to start and/or receive private conversations. Read Forum Post
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Introducing the new Classifieds Section

Please see HERE for more info.

New Tool To Help Prevent Scammers

Discussion in 'Hear Ye Hear Ye' started by Dan, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    2:35 PM
    Today we are introducing a new tool for our users to battle scammers. Recently, we have had numerous complaints regarding a scammer. He/She has been identified and labeled as such. (By the way, you can view known scammers by clicking HERE. See the Scammer Section)

Onto the new tool:
    At the bottom of every post, you will see a new link labeled "Duplicate". Clicking this link will open an overlay with a list of all of our members who have used the same IP address of the poster. You can then compare if the member is using the same IP address of a known scammer. Or even see if that poster has multiple identities on this site, which an honest member should only have one membership.
    You can test this system by navigating to THIS POST in particular to see that this known scammer, Paul728, also has 2 other accounts here.
    Of course this isn't a 100% guarantee, but all of the information and tools we can provide will help you make a more informed decision with who you are dealing with.

Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 6.52.51 PM.png

Enjoy!

2. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    Side note - Sometimes you will see my name, Dan, show up on some profiles, this is due to permission tests. You can safely ignore if any members are also showing any staff members listed as duplicates. If you have any questions or wish to verify your findings, please do not hesitate to ask VincentVincent or myself to double check your findings.

3. AdamD

AdamD New Member

Local Time:
    8:35 PM
    Wow, that scammer sure is prolific, eh?
    Freaking scum.

Great idea Dan, thanks.

4. NellyD

NellyD New Member

Local Time:
    Very nice and useful too :) No tool is 100% safe, but each bit helps a little bit.

Many thanks for that!

Nelly

5. Andrej

Andrej Member

Local Time:
    Spot on, thanks for the addition. :)

6. Rockyp

Rockyp New Member

Local Time:
    2:05 AM
  7. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    If you have a member who has messaged you and they have yet to post on the forums, have them post in this thread so that you may check the duplicate link. The user highlighted in the screenshot above recently registered a new name here as Genious. Not sure if he got any private messages sent before I caught him and marked him as a scammer. Any legitimate buyer/seller shouldn't have a problem if asked to post here to verify their identity. And as always, you can message me or Vincent to check this out for you as well.

8. WenM

WenM CuteXen Designs

Local Time:
    I've experienced that here, but thankfully got most of the money back, but good call on this feature, Dan! ;)

9. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    No idea how long this has been broken, but it is fixed now.

10. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
  11. Eric

Eric Member

Local Time:
    12:35 PM
    It might still help though!

12. Dan

Dan Admin Staff Member

Local Time:
    Gotcha :) That has actually been in place since day 1.

• I am Interested I am Interested x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List