ExtraLicense - Buy, Sell, & Trade Your Licenses

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Forum software

I am personally a great fan of Proboards. Programming/coding are not my strong suit ad I appreciate how user-friendly their software is.

I see this post is a few months old be I'd suggest vanilla or MyBB both are easy and free.

The problem with proboards is that users get caught up with not being able to get their data if they decide to leave, for some they have been there for years so it is very hard to start over again.

I can't see much a difference in the choices. However, one big difference is that SMF and phpBB are mobile ready. With MyBB, you must buy or freely get a mobile friendly theme. However, that's often not a big deal.

I use Proboards because I'm not into tech. I do like their ease of use. I wish I would've known about not being able to move over. It's hard to start over.

I have never been a fan of free forum software...as in those who host it for free. Only because we don't have access to the data, etc. I do like MyBB and phpBB though!

My favorite forums are: vBulletin, XenForo, and MyBB. :)

I'm thinking down the road they may give you the option to purchase the database since proboards was just bought out.:)

Did they ever update to version 6?
It sounded like they were going to do that some time ago.

Most of my guys that run on free forum software all make use of ProBoards and MyBB. If I must use one, it's going to be ProBoards over MyBB.

I just can’t see myself building a community where I can never get my data, for some I guess it’s ok but I like to control my stuff on my own servers. :)

I just can’t see myself building a community where I can never get my data, for some I guess it’s ok but I like to control my stuff on my own servers. :)
I didn't know that when I started my Proboards forum 2 years ago otherwise I would've tried something else.

Not yet. They've been talking about it for years now.
It would be nice for them to give you that update, hopefully, they do something with it over the summer.
I didn't know that when I started my Proboards forum 2 years ago otherwise I would've tried something else.
I hear you there, I know when I started out with building and hosting I've made many mistakes but one tends to learn things as you go and that's the fun of doing it.:)

ProBoards is the best free forum software that I have used for a while now before I upgraded to paid forum software. I created two forums using ProBoards but I'm using XenForo now.